Ready for Change
How do you know if you are ready for a new career? You’re the only one that can answer this question. It takes a lot of soul searching for most people while for some it’s a no brainer. As a first step, how would you answer the following questions about your current position and how do your answers make you feel:
- Are you excited and motivated to go to work or are you bored?
- Is your company experiencing the effects of current economic conditions?
- How secure does your job feel?
- What is the state of your profession across the board?
- How is your work environment?
- Has the scope of your responsibilities changed in such a way that it now limits your growth potential?
- Have you had to take on an increased workload with no added compensation?
- Does your job negatively affect your family life?
If you answered negatively to any of these questions it could be you just need a new job or a whole new career. It probably depends on how strongly you feel about your responses, but if a new career is what you are looking for here are a few actions you can take to get you started:
- Clearly define your professional objective
- Augment your skills to include those needed in your new career. Take classes, volunteer or work part-time
- Be willing to relocate
- Network like crazy. Use your friends, family and professional contacts
- Practice due diligence and make sure your research is thorough
- Work on your presentation
- Keep a positive attitude
Al Kamal, MBA